Monday 30 July 2012

All Tressed Up (And Nowhere To Go)

I absolutely love playing around with my hair. I always have. I think it's a bit of a creative outlet for me. So often though (as is the case here) I'll spend a decent little chunk of time and thought creating a look that I'm proud of, only to waste it on a boring ole' work day. Which, to be honest, is a bit of a bummer. At the end of the day the bobby pins come out, and it's completely forgotten about (even by me). So from now on, I'm going to try to make more of an effort to take photos of the hairstyles I create. Well, the ones that particularly strike my fancy.

This look here, is today's concoction. A vague nod to the screen siren's of 1930's. I should probably mention that generally, I don't start styling my hair with the end result in mind. I feel like, if I have a plan, it rarely turns out the way I want it to, and then I get all stressed and flustered. Instead, I like to just pin it in places and see what begins to form. I know that may sound a little strange, but it works for me. To create this look, I used a hair tie, some bobby pins, and some hairspray to set it all with. I started off by brushing my hair into a side pony tail, tying it, and then pulling some bits loose and pinning them. Absolutely no curling required.






Over this past month, I've been craftily trying to disguise my regrowth before my much needed trip to the salon (c'mon Thursday!!). To me, this look actually makes the most of a bad situation. I feel like the dark regrowth gives the style more dimension and has quite a striking effect. I even had a couple of people mention to me that they really liked the two-tone effect. So yay for that! Still - bring on the dye baby!! 

19 comments:

  1. Your hair looks so beautiful!

    Xxxx

    Www.forevermissvanity.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That style looks lovely on you especially with your bright red! Old school hair with a modern feel! Love it!

    caperepulchra.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, when it comes to my style, I can never do completely modern or completely old school. I'm not sure why. I like sitting somewhere in between the two though!

      Delete
  3. I love your hair - i think once roots have grown out so far it looks intentional - and it looks really effective! I love it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks hun! Yeah, I think after a few months (even though it looks rubbish out) you can make the regrowth kinda work for you in an up-do.

      Delete
  4. ah wow! looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had the ability to do this when I had longer hair. I am going to an old Hollywood themed ball in 2 weeks and have no idea how to do my hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such an awesome theme to play around with. I definitely think you could do something cute and 1920's inspired with your current length. I have faith in your talents! Make sure you post some pics either way.

      Delete
  6. Wow thats amazing, wish I was better at doing hairstyles lol. Love the colour too!!

    Ellie | Misseblog xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I definitely put my bobby pins to work!

      Delete
  7. I'm totally hopeless when it comes to styling my hair - there's only 2 styles I wear. Up (ponytail/bun) or down. Lol. But this is very elegant! I like the wave at the front. It seems like you take a pretty intuitive and creative approach in just going with whatever style you come up with :) Wish I had that kind of talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely of you to say. And hey - nothing wrong with and out-do or a ponytail!

      You may wish you had my hairstyling abilities, but I wish I had your nail painting abilities. They're always PERFECT!

      Delete
  8. You look SO chic my love! I need to start doing some styles and updos with my hair, getting a bit bored of leaving it down, but feel it may be a bit too short for it. ARGH! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about the bobby pins and hairspray. Short hair or otherwise - they work miracles! And thanks hun!

      Delete
  9. This looks gorgeous, so elegant :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heading over to yours for a sticky beak now hun.

    ReplyDelete